2) Prepare a greased 13 x 9-inch baking dish, or two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans (although the batter will seem like it will fit into only one 8 or 9-inch pan, this flop rises very high and will run over the sides if baked in just one pan).
3) In a bowl mix the 2 cups flour, 1-1/4 cups white sugar, milk, vanilla or almond extract, baking powder, pinch of salt and egg (if using) until just combined careful not to overmix.
4) Pour into prepared baking pan/s.
5) Generously spread brown sugar and cinnamon on top.
6) If desired sprinkle chopped walnuts or pecans over top.
7) Drizzle melted butter over top.
8) Bake for about 20-25 minutes for 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, and about 30 minutes for a 13 x 9-inch pan.
Notes: You can either use vanilla or almond extract. The egg is also optional. For the topping use half cup brown sugar (you can use more or less, according to your taste), 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 cup melted butter and chopped walnuts or pecans (optional).